Wednesday 24 August 2016

Do not attend your ex wife's dinner





The Invitation (2016) 
Ratings
Acting:7
Dialogue: 7
Cinematography: 7
Story/coherence: 7.5
Notable quotes: 'I just don't understand why you would show something like that at a dinner party David'- Kira (If only she knew)

This movie has been on my 'to watch list' for a while and I have ignored it for so long. My friend and I were looking for something gripping to watch on Netflix and we came across The invitation. Hey why not? Let me kick off the actual review by letting you guys know this is my favorite movie of 2016 (although I have not seen most 2016 movies) so far.

The invitation is a tense slow gripping psychological thriller with grief being the main theme. You know it's coming but you have no idea how. Logan Marshall-Green gave a fine performance and it was interesting seeing Michael Hiusman play the 'bad guy'. Tammy Blanchard's acting was really theatrical but half way into the movie I think it was all part of her character.

(source: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/drafthouse/theinvitation/)

It's so obvious the director went to film school lol, the movie was so structured and very film schooley from the foreshadowing to the very obvious Foley. Also, the first scene was a foreshadow of the entire movie so pay attention! There are some scenes that may seem unnecessary but those random things all tie in together in a very subtle way.

1 hour into the movie, we were stressed lol, We were tempted to fast forward to the end because the climax was fast-paced and my friend could not take it. The very last scene is a guaranteed 'burst my brain' moment even though it was kind of a cliffhanger. Overall it was a good film (nothing entirely new here though). I admit Karyn Kusama took this movie to a level some thrillers fail to get to. Great directing! Go and watch this!

(The name of the movie is slightly corny to me sha)



No comments:

Post a Comment