Sunday 31 December 2017

Dunkirk

Director: Christopher Nolan
Acting: 9
Dialogue: 8 (There was little talking)
Score: 10
Plot: 10
Cinematography: 10
Rewatchable? Yes!



Dunkirk is about the historical evacuation of British soldiers from the Dunkirk beach in France.

Before I start I want to predict that Dunkirk will win the Oscar for Best Picture, Best Cinematography, and Best Costume Design.

What Nolan has done is weave a intricate and brilliantly executed film that unfolds from 3 viewpoints: Land, Sea and Air.

The acting in the movie was amazing, as I have come to expect of a Nolan film. The actor that stood out for me was Tom Hardy as the RAF pilot. He barely spoke, and his face was in a mask for 90% of the screentime he got. But Hardy's charisma still shines through any facial obstructions. (Bane, Mad Max, etc). Fionn Whitehead, who plays one the in characters in the film,impressed me.

Hans Zimmer did the score and, as usual, did a madness. There were no loud orchestra or violins or the other flourishes I had come to associate with Hans Zimmer. Instead, the score comprised mainly ofominous bass sounds set to the beat of small,ticking noises. Like the hands of a watch. Very minimal.

Hoyte Van Hoytemma was the cinematographer. Now, I developed a very deep bias for Hoyte ever since I watched the Spike Jonze film Her, so I was not surprised when he also delivered in Dunkirk. The shots were amazing, brilliantly composed to reinforce the feelings of hopelessness and fear that were likely going through the minds of the British soldiers. Look at these:



No comments:

Post a Comment