Tuesday 24 January 2017

But I never wanted fame, I just became a Kennedy

JACKIE

Acting: 9
Dialogue:8
Score: 10 (icing on the cake)
Cinematography: 10

Someone said this movie was exploitative and honestly I just want to 'talk' to that person...
Jackie is everything I imagined it would be and of course this was the perfect role for Natalie Portman to show her acting depth in case that wasn't obvious enough in Black Swan. This movie is not a typical biopic/drama, it comes of more artsy and I expected this knowing Darren Aronofsky was involved. Although the movie was directed by Pablo Lorrain, I got strong Terrence Malick and Darren Aronofsky vibes; psychological with a strong theme of existentialism. This movie shows Jackie's state of mind throughout JFK's death and we get to see a woman without the facade dealing with loss, her faith and the world. I also love how the writers skipped the storytelling and focused more on feeling, the conversation Jackie had with the priest is beautiful and I absolutely enjoyed the dialogue on purpose and faith. Everything was laid out perfectly, from the amazing cinematography to the beautiful score.

It is evident the amount of soul Natalie put in this performance because after watching the actual footage of 'The White House Tour' I can 90% say Natalie nailed it.
Image result for Jackie film burial scene

No one talks about Peter Sarsgaard and I do not get it. He is definitely a gem (who needs more lead roles) and it showed once again in this movie. Just like Black mass, his presence is undeniable and it's a shame he always goes unnoticed.

Image result for Peter sarsgaard jackie
This is definitely my favorite movie of 2016 so far and anyone who knows me knows I am a sucker for any movie with a theme of living and existence (Melancholia, Boyhood, Before Sunrise etc)

I do not think I can do justice in 'reviewing' the intricate and amazing work Stephane Fontaine did with the cinematography. Props to Pablo Lorrain for a well directed movie! The pacing and sequencing were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment