Wednesday 13 July 2016

French nails, Oscar and oil

A most violent year (2014 )

My Ratings! (scale of 1-10)
Dialogue: 8 gbosas
Acting: 10 gbosas
Cinematography: 10 gbosas
Repeat or nah: Yes but just certain scenes
Film score: 9 gbosas (so beautiful)
Final rating: 8/10
Notable quotes: 'my husband is not my father, not even close, so if I were you I would start treating us with a little more respect or I'd guarantee he will make it his mission in life to ruin you'- Anna Morales


This is truly a hidden gem, I remember discussing this film with my brother and we both agreed on how much we loved the name of this film. It's so perfect.

Oscar Isaac who played Abel and Jessica Chastain who played Anna are a match made in director's heaven in this movie. The film's main characters Abel and Anna are really complex characters and I love how the director (J. C Chandor)  portrayed their family life, love and business. Also, one of my faves David Oyelowo was good as always but very underused.

I think I am starting to enjoy genres like this but I don't know how to classify them. Perhaps American hustle meets The Godfather and a sprinkle of Scarface?  This movie is centered mainly on treachery, family, power, business and oil. I like the 80's vibe it exudes and Jessica chastain in her silk blouse and french nails killed it back to back
.

Very Godfather-esque                     (image from http://www.o-cinema.org/event/a-most-violent-year/)


(image from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECHpETmACA)

The acting was top notch from both leads (Oscar and Jessica) and this movie made me a fan Oscar Isaac for sure. He didn't overact, it felt real and completely different to the Oscar Isaac I watched in Inside Llewyn Davis! The pacing of this movie is quite slow (though not boring) and it took me about 30 minutes to fully get in. The shots were so gorgeous and I feel like for most people this film is either 'meh' or great.

                                        
image from: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/12/23/how-bradford-young-made-new-york-a-monster-in-a-most-violent-year/)
                                                 
Back to the title, 1981 (movie time period)  was considered the 'worst' year in New York so if you listen closely to any scene in the movie with a radio playing in the background, it was definitely a report on bad news... hence 'a most violent year'.      
This film got some award love but nothing too mainstream, most nominations going to Jessica which was well deserved. This movie flopped badly in box office though.


Please feel free to share your thoughts! Would you see this?

No comments:

Post a Comment